University Health Report

All students enrolled in Massachusetts, Oakland, and Global Scholars must submit proof of immunity to various diseases. The vaccinations required are set by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the California Department of Public Health.  Some Bouvé College of Health Sciences students are required to have clinical clearance prior to clinical, internship or practicum. Please refer to the university catalog for details.

Massachusetts and California law requires all students to provide documentation of vaccination against Hepatitis B, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningitis, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis, and Varicella.

Recommended vaccines: Influenza, Meningitis B, Hepatitis A, HPV and COVID-19.


The 2023 – 2024 University Health Report is here!

Please download the 2023-2024 University Health Report and share it with your provider. Completed reports should be emailed to [email protected].


  • July 31, 2023 – For UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS entering the University in Fall 2023.
  • December 1, 2023 – For all UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS entering the University Spring 2024.
  • GRADUATE STUDENTS must return the form no later than one month before entering the University.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about the University Health Report? Check out our frequently asked questions as a first step.

What immunizations are required?

Hep B – Hepatitis B
Tdap – Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis
MMR – Measles, Mumps and Rubella 
Varicella – Chickenpox

– These immunizations help protect against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDap),Hepatitis B, Varicella/Chicken pox, Meningitis. 
– All full time and part time students at Northeastern University are required to submit documentation of immunizations. UHCS works closely with both the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Boston Public Health Commission to ensure that you have complied with this mandate. If UHCS does not receive your complete immunization record, you are at risk of being held out of classes and university activities. 

What immunizations are recommended?

In addition to the required immunizations, University Health and Counseling Services recommends the following vaccinations: COVID-19 (series and boosters), HPV (3 dose series), Hepatitis A (2 dose series), Meningitis B, and Influenza. These immunizations are recommended but not required.

Can my parents confirm that I had the vaccines?

No. Massachusetts Department of Public Health requires that UHCS receive the health form and immunizations signed by your health care provider.

What should I do if I can’t access my immunization records?

You may have a blood test called antibody titer that shows whether you are already immune to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and Hepatitis B. You will need to get a tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Tdap) booster. This antibody titer tests can be done at your local health care provider office prior to arriving on campus. Titers may be drawn at UHCS – please see fee schedule– for students already on campus. 

My doctor says I only need one measles immunization, is this true?

No.  Massachusetts Department of Public Health, requires proof of two measles immunizations, both administered after January 1, 1968, at least one month apart, and after your first birthday.

Why do I need two mumps vaccines?

University Health and Counseling Services works with the Boston Public Health Commission and Massachusetts Department of Public Health. University requirements reflect the recommendations of both. Two doses of the mumps vaccine or a positive titer are required. The two mumps doses must be given at least 28 days apart, beginning at or after the first birthday.

What is the difference between the Td and the Tdap vaccines?

Tdap is a combination vaccine that includes tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. Td is a booster vaccine for tetanus and diphtheria. Td does not protect against pertussis. 

In my country, rubella is not available, how can I get this vaccine?

UHCS provides Shots and Immunizations as well as titer testing. Students with Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP) are covered for all of their required vaccine costs. If you do not have NUSHP, vaccines may be purchased with a credit or debit card. 

How many shots are included in the hepatitis B immunization?

The hepatitis B immunization is comprised of 3 shots. The first shot can be given at any time, the second dose needs to be administered at least one month after the first. The third dose at least two months after the second and four months after the first. 

I had a meningitis vaccine 6 years ago, am I still covered?

No. Northeastern University requires students to have the meningitis immunization within 5 years of the start of school.

Can I receive immunizations at UHCS?

Students are expected to be fully immunized prior to arriving on-campus. If for some reason you are not able to access an vaccine, UHCS does provide Shots and Immunizations as well as titer testing. Students with Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP) are covered for all of their required vaccine costs. If you do not have NUSHP, vaccines may be purchased with a credit or debit card.

The result of my blood titer was “equivocal” or “borderline”, what does this mean?

You may need another immunization to boost your immunity. Please review with your clinician or contact UHCS with any questions 617-373-2772. 

What will happen to me if I’m exposed to an infectious illness for which I am not appropriately vaccinated?

The Boston Department of Public Health or Massachusetts Department of Public Health may determine that you have been exposed to an infectious illness and if you are not appropriately immunized, you may be  required to be excluded from all University activities on campus including classes, academic work, residence halls, dining and social groups, for the specific time that encompasses your period of potential contagiousness. You will be allowed to return to campus after the risk of contracting the illness has passed.

What will happen if I do not have all of my immunizations documented?

Students who do not have all of the immunizations documented or there is any problems with the timeline of immunizations will receive may be held out of university activities. If it is determined that documentation is missing or incomplete, an email from UHCS will be sent to the student’s Northeastern email address. It is important to read the UHCS email, see what immunizations are missing or incomplete and promptly follow the guidance to reach full compliance. There are various options to complete the immunizations including, seeing your local health care provider, UHCS or visiting a local travel clinic in Boston. 

What if I cannot have vaccines due to medical or religious reasons?

Students who have a medical reason for not receiving an immunization, must submit a letter from their health care provider documenting the reason and diagnosis that prohibits receiving a vaccine and specify which vaccine. This letter can be submitted to UHCS via email [email protected] or fax 617-373-2601.

Students who have a religious reason must submit a letter, authored by the student, expressing the reason for the exemption and include a signature and date. This letter can be submitted to UHCS via email [email protected] or fax 617-373-2601.

Please note that students with vaccine exemptions may be required to follow exclusion orders from the BPHC and MDPH in the cases of being exposed to infectious illness.